Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tween Time on Tuesday

It is Tuesday and the second full day of camp for my almost 9 and 10 year old kids. My mind is so scrambled full of thoughts on them. Letting them grow up yet, realizing what it means when mothers say they'll always be our babies. I know, better than I have ever known anything, that I was supposed to be this wife and mama.
Oh, my Dear Heavenly Father, how deeply honored I am that you chose me to care for these children of yours. I am so thankful you waited until I was spiritually prepared to be a parent, so that I would understand how very important it was to dedicate them right back to you. Just as we are called to tithe the first of the riches you give us, so must our first parental decision, concerning our child's future, be to give him back to you. Thank you for filling their lives so wonderfully!!
Meanwhile, childhood is fading and teen years will approach for my oldest two. And, while they are away this week, I know this is part of that first dedication when they were newborns. If I don't let the leadership of our own church participate in the spiritual future of my children, how in the world can I let them grow and learn. My job as their mom is to nurture and protect and give them every tool they need that God has for them. How dare I not let them practice and learn in such a nurturing environment. If I give them a bike, they practice with a helmet in a safe controlled area; then we venture out in larger more exciting (dangerous) areas. Church camp (Jambilee) to me, is that protected area for my tweens to begin a process. A process of being themselves, away from mom and dad, and still guided my men and women of God (forget the apron strings for I even hesitate to cut the cord!) However, where they are today, they are still being fed; and I am comforted in knowing they have their helmets. For we have taught them the armor of God. Let them spread their wings and feel their independence a little. This will be their time to know they will always be alright with Jesus in their hearts. Since birth, the cord has changed ,and they have been growing now, upon their Holy Father's beautiful vine. It is my duty and priviledge to allow God to do His work in them. I have to now know when to step aside and let Him move in them and through them.

I realize more each year that, with or without mama, they will know fullness of Joy; as long as they have the Lord in their hearts.

I touched on this last year when my daughter went away for the first time. Now my daughter and oldest son are gone; and I have to say again, the experience for them, impacts me very deeply. I feel at the very core of my soul, the spiritual significance of them having worship experiences away from church or home. They can explore new things and experience God and his magnificence, in a way that will be their very own. All of their spirituality is based on what their daddy and I have insisted on. However, I seriously doubt we can dictate how intimate and beautiful their relationship with God will be. I thank and praise the Almighty Lord for this understanding; and I pray, that each year, they will grow more deeply upon their Father's vine as they separate from mine...but - they will always be my babies!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment