Thursday, August 9, 2012

Why wait???

Well friends,

It's the beginning of the school year, and I have had rolling emotions of excitement, frustration, anxiety and relief (if you know me at all, you already knew that.)
I was excited to start shopping the "tax-free" weekend sales and got some decent deals.
Then, I was frustrated because two days after the "tax free" weekend was over, we received our full page detailed lists of supplies from the teachers. The two things I stocked up on, must have been forgotten by the teachers...right? I kept thinking, as today's shopping cart filled and the $$$ grew
, surely they knew who their students were Friday - right? Can't they please consider the $100's we are spending, and set up their list on their web pages; or mail the list to the kids...please please??? Later, I consider they may have been given priorities that did not allow them this luxury.
I became anxious, when I overheard my youngest child's teacher say this was her first teaching job. Wha?? I need...well, I want, but do you know...?? Later I think, she's fresh out of school with fresh enthusiasm. She may be the best thing we have known. We've had teachers over and over state their resumes during orientation, that they've taught for 20 years and been principals; and we felt the pain as they had absolutely no desire to answer to anyone, or put up with anything. Besides, every teacher my kids ever knew had a first teaching job; and someone was that teacher's student.
I was relieved after our first abbreviated day Wednesday, when all the kids were up with no fuss. I unloaded 4 kids (2 of them carpool friends) at one school, and did the paperwork for a 5Th child at another school. Not one child complained, and every single one of them was happy when I returned to get them later. This spelled relief for me. No one was nervous, discouraged or afraid. They all discussed who they had and shared their excitement and/or the stories they'd heard from past students.
This is when I decided to say my prayers for, and make my pledge to my children's teachers.
I pray Gods greatest blessing on you for dedicating your career, to educate our children. May He cover you during this year, and guide each lesson assembly and event. I pray a hedge of protection around the school, the classroom and our children. I pray protection over your families and  homes.
I pray for your co-workers and your office staff, that you all work together like a smooth machine...with grace and efficiency. I thank God for you and I thank you for your work. I thank God in advance for what He will do in my child's life through your instruction. I thank you in advance for the devotion you will commit to the kids and their futures. May your days be filled with fun and delight. May surprises and interruptions be accepted as opportunities, to see how God can be seen even in the glitter and the glue. His miracles are new each day.

I pledge to work with my child daily on homework, agendas and information.
I pledge to pray for you and your school and our community.
I pledge to volunteer whenever possible, and be a joyful servant when there.
I pledge to honor the work you do and be respectful when we discuss issues with the children.
I pledge to partner with you to encourage good behavior and good citizens.
I pledge to be consistent at home with our manners, respect and responsibilities.
I pledge to remind my child and myself to submit to authority respectfully
(as long as this does not compromise our spiritual walk in faith.)
I pledge that, even if and when we eventually disagree; we are not disagreeable about it...but decent.
Now, I thank you - why wait?? You will get letters at the end of the year about how fantastic it has been; and I know it will be. I say we declare that now, and tell you how very grateful we are that you are there; and we hope to give you every bit as much pleasure in doing your job, as you will certainly give us as our teachers. Meanwhile, rest rest- because they are on their way!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment